Re: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: ASCII-folded search [was: Re: Upcoming loss of usability ...]
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 18:14:36 +0100

> There is one package (anzu) I know of that makes partial use of the mode
> line to display the search pattern counts.
>
> We will need a solution that doesn't break these other packages. Or should
> the info be simply added to `minor-mode-alist` with "button click
> properties"? (I forgot the exact property name).

Yeah, it can go in the mode-line lighter. I just meant that, given how
temporary isearch is, the "status indicators" can afford to be a lot
more clear and verbose than a single character. These characters make
sense if you know what they mean, but mean nothing to a newcomer.

> abo-abo creates a pseudo minibuffer on top of the actual minibuffer to
> display the hints in his hydra.el package. That could also work here?

Hm. I think so. I don't know whether multiline echo-area is supported
everywhere, but if it is I would really like to see that. The only
thing to keep in mind is that it has to be fixed. That is, I don't
want a second line poping up and down while I search or toggle stuff,
it has to be permanent so as to not be distracting.