Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:56:49 -0400

  > > Does this mean that both curly braces, in Emacs Lisp doc strings,
  > > will appear as ' on a terminal which can't display curly braces?

  > Yes.

  > > That's a total screw.  Developers using such a display
  > > will not be able to distinguish the two.

  > "C-x =" can tell the difference.  But yes, it's not very convenient.
  > However, standards.texi was recommending to quote 'like this' for
  > quite some time now,

That's a different issue.

If you put two different curly quotes in the buffer, and they look
like ` and ', you will understand what's going on once you know
that convention.  But if they both look like ', it is a screw
for editing.

For this reason, we should not put any curly quotes in doc strings
at present.

--
Dr Richard Stallman