Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 17:03:15 +0300

On 06/23/2015 04:02 PM, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

It’s probably not worth noting, but that can’t possible be true.  Is
someone who sees ‘‘’ going to wonder what that symbol means, whereas
if they see ‘'’ they’ll go “aha!”?

Not confused, but probably a bit weirded out. Pretty much what Oleh said.

Given that almost all professionally printed literature
uses real quotation marks, I’d assume that those who are learning
English will also be given the benefit of them (where native English
readers will have seen them in books since they were little).

Speaking of printed literature, I've just opened a random O'Reilly's book. While curly double-quotes appear a lot, the closest thing to single quotes were apostrophes (which look the same, but serve a different purpose).