Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:30:18 -0500

    In this particular case, you've been told that outputting fully
    annotated ASTs is a desirable feature, and you decided it's a bad idea
    (for software freedom) to support it because it allows nonfree
    frontends and backends to be written for GCC backends and frontends
    respectively.  So you've opposed GCC support for that feature.

Right.  And you understand why.

However, a feature make a background process that responds to
inquiries such as "What's the type of symbol FOO on line L, char C" is
ok.  And that's exactly what we would want for this.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation