Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 09:34:05 -0500

> For multi-modes representing dynamically generated content (PHP +
> HTML, etc.) there's going to be fragments that will be hard or
> impossible to indent meaningfully. Can't be avoided, I think.

Indeed.  Just as is the case with macros and preprocessors.  If/when
this problems turns out to be significant, we'll see if there's
something we can try to do, but for now, this seems like a fairly
remote problem.

> What about code that deals with the buffer's major-mode? In a PHP +
> HTML buffer, or a Literate Haskell source (assuming it's a multi-mode
> buffer with text and Haskell submodes), what will (with-current-buffer
> "my-multi-buffer" major-mode) return? Does it depend on `point'? If
> you switch the buffer's major-mode, does it change for all fragments?

I'm not sure.  Maybe it will depend.  I'm leaning towards having
a "main" major mode and leaving `major-mode' pointing to that.
As mentioned elsewhere, it might also be a better choice to let this
main major mode control the keymap.

        Stefan