Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:58:22 -0400

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 02:04:27 +0200 Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:

ÓF> I'll suggest to use different branches for every port (including MS
ÓF> Windows). This way you can avoid most part of the #ifdef crazyness,
ÓF> keeping the code much cleaner and responsability divisions better
ÓF> defined.

I asked Mitsuharu-san about a single source tree for his code and the NS
port for a specific reason: a branch encourages divergence, while a
single source tree discourages it.  Our goal should be to have a good
experience on Mac OS X, not to offer the NS port and the Mac port
separately.  Also I think keeping the whole Mac port in a Bazaar branch
would be painful for the maintainers and developers, but that's an
inconvenience and not an impediment.

Several people have suggested the Mac port, with its single developer,
should be used instead of the NS port.  Whether the Mac port is added to
the NS port or replaces it, that requires a commitment from
Mitsuharu-san to keep his code up to date with the rest of the
development team; to consider how new features could be added to benefit
all platforms and not just Mac OS X; and to fix bugs other developers
may have introduced.  It's not simply a matter of "let's use this port,
it looks great and has the features I like."  That's my view, anyhow,
and I welcome anyone else's opinion.

Ted