Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: Donald Curtis
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:43:21 -0500

This is perfect.

Yamamoto, is it easy to have an update of your 24.1 patches uploaded to FTP?
Incorporating this one and the one that you mailed out recently to the list?

After thinking about all the discussion here, and the rule that "every feature
in Emacs should work in the GNU system, and should work at least as well in the
GNU system as it does on any other platform" puts these "mac" patches in a
predicament.  Things like animation support—that is taken care of mainly by the
Cocoa libraries?—may not be easy to do well on the GNU system.  And it seems
like, based on the bits I have read from Yamamoto, it would also not be easy to
incorporate the "mac" changes into mainline because of fundamental design
choices in the NS port.  But MacVIM is an example of this same problem dealt
with by the Vim camp; it is an extension to Vim—by default support GTK and
Gnome—and adds a nice Cocoa layer.

My only concern is that Yamamoto not get burnt out maintaing this; I don't know
how time consuming it is but I assume there is some challenge. So the only
question I have is if Yamamoto would consider keeping the source for his port
in a VCS somewhere online so that people can help by submitting bugs and
things. And maybe even build a small website to promote that version.  Maybe
this would not be desirable for Yamamoto though, but it seems like it would
build a bit more community for it, and also let people play with the HEAD
version. Just an idea; I may have missed the discussion about this already...

And I believe no matter what the outcome, this is a win for all. More attention
to Emacs on any platform will eventually trickle down to the GNU system in some
way or another.  Maybe all the changes will get incorporated into the main tree
or maybe none will, but I suspect the reality is a middle ground where some
patches stay in the Mac port and some get the main tree.

I will try to work on creating .app binaries for this.  There has to be a
simple way as someone is packaging Emacs.app now...

Donald