Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:19:38 -0400

On Jul 14, 2012, at 8:54 PM, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Now, the problem is that the quality of the Cocoa port has not been
> improving as quickly as I'd like.  But this is essentially because most
> active Emacs hackers don't work on Mac OS, and those that do are
> interested in working on stuff other than the Cocoa code.

I've been using the NS port in Aquamacs for a long time, and it's actually
quite usable for us.
Of course I had to work around certain issues (ispell), and I receive a good
number of crash reports (but not more than would be reasonably expected from
some 14,000 daily users).  I wish some of these things could be addressed.

The Emacs project has made a commitment to the NS port, and that's what is
important to me as a downstream user.  The NS port is also very patchable due
to its consequent use of Objective C APIs and some object-oriented code.  Given
my deep respect for YM's qualities as a coder, I sincerely hope that he can one
day combine the AppKit portion of his port with the NS port (and leave the
Carbon APIs behind).