Re: Need help with upstream vs Debian emacs-23.4 + emacs-24.1 build diff

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Need help with upstream vs Debian emacs-23.4 + emacs-24.1 build differences
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:06:35 -0400

Svante Signell wrote:

> Still the buildds have problems building the Debian version. From the
> build logs one can see there are differences mainly due to the autoloads
> target. What is triggering that one, timestamps of files, anything else?

Generally speaking, yes; if the timestamp of a *.el file under lisp is
newer than that of the associated loaddef file, the latter will get
updated. Actually, "sometimes" md5sums are used rather than timestamp,
but in the diffs you showed it looked like timestamps. (Don't suppose
Emacs's md5 somehow behaves oddly for you?)

> cp -a should be the same, right?

Yes; AFAIK.

>> I think the problem lies in the loaddefs.el being regenerated by the
>> autoloads. My problem is that I don't know why it happens, compared to
>> the tarball.

AFAIK, it should only be timestamp/md5sum issues. Patching lisp files
will of course change their timestamp...

Can you find the minimum sequence starting from a normal tarfile that
causes the issue?

But, it looked to me like the loaddefs diff just showed the same
information being included twice? Is that right? I still think that
while that is incorrect, it should not be harmful in itself.