Re: Have Mac OS X-related patches; need papers.

From: Samuel Bronson
Subject: Re: Have Mac OS X-related patches; need papers.
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 20:44:00 -0400

On Jun 30, 2012, at 10:07 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

Samuel Bronson <address@hidden> writes:

I have some changes that I'd like to contribute to Emacs to make it work
better with OS X (some of which I have pushed to
lp:~naesten/emacs/nextstep-stuff and some of which is still sitting in my
source tree).

I'm curious, what changes do you have?

The ones I haven't committed yet are mostly fixes for compiler warnings.

As for the ones I have committed, you would normally be able to use launchpad's web UI to look at them, but right now that seems to be having trouble, so your best bet is probably to either grab the branch or try something with "bzr missing", like so:

iMac:emacs user$ bzr missing --mine -d lp:~naesten/emacs/nextstep- stuff lp:emacs --gnu-changelog
You have 17 extra revision(s):
2012-07-01  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

* unexmacosx.c: Update comments after experimenting with heap(1) during unexec ().

2012-07-01  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        Check if we need to pass -fobjc-exceptions to GCC on Mac OS X.
        Non-Apple GCCs tend to require this when building with 10.5 or newer
        SDKs; with this change, we can build out-of-the box with (say) fink's
        gcc47 version 4.7.1-1000.

        * src/Makefile.in: s/GNU_OBJC_FLAGS/OBJC_FLAGS/.
        * configure.in: s/GNU_OBJC_FLAGS/OBJC_FLAGS/.
        [NS_IMPL_COCOA]: Add checks for whether Objective C exceptions work
        without a flag or with -fobjc-exceptions; die if neither works.

2012-06-30  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        Don't hard-code names of autotools in Makefile.in.
        * configure.in: Add "AM_MISSING_PROG(AUTOM4TE, autom4te)".
        (Also specify the needed version in the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE call.)
        * Makefile.in: Use variables to refer to autotools.
        (ACLOCAL, AUTOCONF, AUTOHEADER, AUTOM4TE, AUTOMAKE):
        New variables filled in by autoconf.

2012-06-30  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

* unexmacosx.c (unexec_malloc, unexec_realloc): Record available space, not requested.

2012-06-30  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        * unexmacosx.c: Dump EmacsZone into __UNEXEC segments, for clarity.
        Previously, they were dumped into __DATA segments, and it wasn't
        immediately obvious that these weren't just fragments of the original
        __DATA segment.

2012-06-30  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

* unexmacosx.c (copy_dysmtab): Add a FIXME before check involving a magic number.

2012-06-30  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

* unexmacosx.c (find_emacs_zone_regions): Add zone allocation summary & headers to output.

2012-06-30  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

* unexmacosx.c (unexec_malloc, unexec_realloc, unexec_free): Add prototypes.

2012-06-30  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        * unexmacosx.c: Rewrite allocation comments at top to reflect reality.
        Add thoughts on the possibility of using malloc_freezedry().

2012-06-30  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        * unexmacosx.c: More diagnostic tweaks and comments.
        (unexec_regions_recorder): List section type flags
        (copy_segment): Start message with "Copying", not "Writing".

2012-06-30  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        * unexmacosx: Align output on 64-bit systems, too.

2012-06-30  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        * unexmacosx.c: Add #else/#endif comments

2012-06-29  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        * unexmacosx.c (copy_data_segment): Fix bug #9927.  Dumps w/ GCC 4.7,
        though it still takes a bit of prodding to get it to build (mostly
        -fobjc-exceptions).

2012-06-29  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        * frame.c (Fx_parse_geometry): Return value from HAVE_NS path;
        fix comments on HAVE_NS #ifdef.

2012-06-29  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        * font.h (font_metrics): Copy comments from Xlib.h's XCharStruct.

2012-06-27  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        * unexmacosx.c (VM_DATA_TOP, struct region_t)
        (region_list_head, region_list_tail)
        (print_region, print_region_list, print_regions)
        (build_region_list): Remove, the data structure these build and
        display is not actually used in dumping.
        (unexec): Remove call to build_region_list ().

2012-06-27  Samuel Bronson  <address@hidden>

        * unexmacosx.c: Improve alignment of diagnostic output.