Gnus overrides.texi and WEBHACKDEVEL (was: Revision 103117 on the Emacs

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Gnus overrides.texi and WEBHACKDEVEL (was: Revision 103117 on the Emacs trunk.)
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:21:18 -0600

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 14:08:55 +0100 Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:

AS> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> Also, overrides.texi is in the repository, but these two new rules
>> will overwrite it, and the modified overrides.texi could then easily
>> be committed by mistake as part of the next "bzr ci", thus propagating
>> a file with "@set WEBHACKDEVEL" to everyone else.  That's bad, I
>> think.

AS> It won't work when building outside srcdir anyway.

>> webhack:
>> $(MAKE) all MAKEINFO_OPTS="-DWEBHACKDEVEL --force -I$(emacsdir)"

AS> That should be

AS>     $(MAKE) all MAKEINFO_OPTS="-DWEBHACKDEVEL $(MAKEINFO_OPTS)"

(I adjusted the Subject line so it's useful to Gnus developers and users
too)

That's what I wanted (and why I said overrides.texi was a hack :) except
the PDF and HTML targets are desired; I comitted a change to Gnus
accordingly to just do PDF for now.  Let me know what you think.

Now, overrides.texi is for Gnus manuals overrides: settings we may want
to propagate to all our manuals.  So I think it makes sense to have it,
just not the way I did it with shell redirection.  I renamed it to
gnus-overrides.texi and it can be used for things we want to use in all
the Gnus manuals in the future.  I hope that's OK with everyone; if not
it's easy enough to pull that include out.

Ted