Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:39:22 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:51:41 +0100
>
> Nowadays, thanks to projects like LLVM, it is easy to roll an
> industrial-grade optimizing compiler if the language runtime
> requirements are not too far from C. It is straightforward to design a
> language that equals C in speed of execution and that is way more
> expressive.
>
> Actually, some of those languages often compile applications to code
> that is faster than their C counterpart, as they are more
> optimizer-friendly.

But switching to a language that is significantly less widespread than
C would mean significantly less potential contributors.

We could learn from Texinfo experience: the next release replaces the
venerable makeinfo implementation in C with a modified texi2html,
which is written in Perl.  I suspect that, once that happens, the only
one who will hack the translator will be its author and no one else.
We shall see.