Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:53:52 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:35:28 -0500
>
> Eli> That's a pretty general assessment. Any data points other than the
> Eli> display engine?
>
> Most of what Emacs's code offers is available elsewhere one way or
> another in *apparently* better shape and with an active community.
> That's true of the redisplay as we've been discussing, it's true of the
> extension language, the GC, the coding-conversion libraries, the
> wiget/menu code, and probably a lot more.
>
> So, yes, it's probably fairly easy to do an Emacs-like editor using
> another extension language etc...

I thought the issue was not creation of a new editor, but using in
Emacs code written elsewhere for some tasks Emacs now does with code
written specifically for it.

> At some point, I've considered the possibility to switch to one of
> those (where the extension language is statically typed ;-), but
> ... they didn't have PCL-CVS, diff-mode, Gnus, ... so it was really
> an uphill battle.

Heh, that's how I came to Emacs 15 years ago: I got tired
reimplementing in a workalike all the features I missed and in Emacs
were there to be used...