Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:01:19 +0900

David Kastrup writes:
 > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > grischka writes:
 > >
 > >  > But as is, emacs comes with an implicit structural clause to its
 > >  > license, as in "[You may convey a work based on the Program, ...]
 > >  > BUT WE DO OUR BEST TO PREVENT THAT."
 > >
 > > That's simply not true.  There have historically been a large number
 > > of editors based on Emacs code,
 >
 > Maybe the point was that it is not trivial to get home-brewn extensions
 > back into Emacs upstream.  In particular, if they have been brewed in
 > somebody else's home...

That's not how I read it.  It seems to me that the OP (and others in
this thread, as well is in the package manager threads) are looking
for a more open ecology, something like the various C*AN networks on
the "Emacs is a platform for application development" side, and FFI on
the the "Emacs interacts with various communication protocols and
storage formats" side.

In other words, less, not more, centralization.  A smaller core Emacs
doing less better, and delegating more to 3rd-party libraries.

 > > As for browsing 1GB (well, for Emacs it would be 256MB, I guess?)
 >
 > most-positive-fixnum => 536870911

Oops.  I wish you had posted 30 minutes earlier, I just misquoted
myself in another channel.  Thank you (and Eli) for the correction,
anyway.

 > > log files, there's nothing like (X)Emacs!

 > less is better, actually.  I need my virtual memory for other things
 > than decorated log files.

I don't decorate the log files.  I use things like M-x occur or M-x
delete-non-matching lines on them, though.  Does less support such
features now?