Re: Unable to close a bug in the tracker.

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Unable to close a bug in the tracker.
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:19:38 -0500

Karl Fogel wrote:

> For a project like Emacs, a bug tracker whose primary interface is
> email is borderline useless.

When we were searching for a bug tracker, one whose primary interface
was email was one of main criteria, if not the main issue.

>   * What is "Toggle useless messages" for?
>     (Please don't answer that.  I don't care what the answer is;

It's easy to remove this button from the display, but it's sometimes
useful, and does not seem that big of a deal.

>   * Why would I want to "View this report as an [mbox folder],
>     [status mbox], [maintainer mbox]"?  Who is this aimed at?

People who want to download the raw report.

>   * Why does the bug report *start* by default with "Message #3"?

Because of the useless messages which you don't care about, I think.

>   * Why does the bottom of the bug report say "Last modified: Wed Jan 13
>     23:51:14 2010", when the most recent visible activity in the bug
>     dates from 6 October 2009?

It's the date the page was generated. It's a bit useless I agree.

>   * "To reply or subscribe to this bug, see [here]."

This used to be a mailto link, but I changed it in an effort to stop
the tide of spam.

>   3) Although the web UI could, in theory, give instructions on how to
>      change the state of the bug, in practice it doesn't.

We've had numerous explanations on this list, and I have tried to
write notes in admin/notes/bugtracker. Once you get used to it, it's
fairly straightforward, I think.

>   4) If you're not subscribed to a bug via email, then manipulating
>   it by email involves lots of cutting-and-pasting from browser to
>   mail client (i.e., bug number, bug subject, etc).

Or you can use those "mbox" buttons to download a mail to which you
can then reply.