colours in client on xterm (if an X frame is open at same time)

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: colours in client on xterm (if an X frame is open at same time)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 00:26:11 +0100

Hi,

I wonder if the following is a feature or a bug: If I run
"emacsclient -t" in an xterm, then I get a grey background if an
X frame is open at the same time (this didn't happen with 23.1).

To be specific, here is a session that illustrates the behaviour:

   $ emacs -Q --daemon
   ("emacs")
   Starting Emacs daemon.
   $ emacsclient -t

This looks "normal": the window has a white background, and the
modeline has a greenish background.
Screenshot: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/screenshot/1.png>

   [delete the frame with C-x 5 0]
   $ emacsclient -n -c
   [don't delete the X frame]
   $ emacsclient -t

Now the window has grey background and the modeline is black. Is it
intended that it should look like this?
Screenshot: <http://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/screenshot/2.png>

If I set TERM=vt200 (instead of TERM=xterm) before starting
emacsclient, then it looks like the first screenshot again.

Ulrich