Re: Interactive hat.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Interactive hat.
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 23:47:41 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:
 > > If it's possible to code everything we need with a symbol property, I
 > > think the interactive hat mechanism should be removed.
 >
 > You got things backwards here: the "^" describes the behavior of
 > the command, so it should be part of the command, not its name.

In XEmacs, both descriptions are incorrect.  "Shifted motion selects"
is a property of the key, not of the command nor of its name.

 > The ability to use a symbol property for that is a hack that can
 > come in handy at times, but it's still just a hack.

XEmacs has used a variable containing a list of key names that might
have this behavior for ten years with no apparent ill-effects.  And it
similarly has been hard-coded to the shift key for ten years with no
apparent ill-effects.