Re: app termination / ns resources

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: app termination / ns resources
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 07:42:09 -0700

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:59:25AM +0200, Adrian Robert wrote:
> [cc'ing emacs-devel]
>

>> Also, I have a removed the NS resources and also the ns-expand-lines
>> business, which helped with the interrupted pattern in the fringe for some
>> (but not all) fonts.  I will test this a little more and check it in later
>> this week.
>
> One final dying thought about this ;) -- the way it was prefs-panel <-> ns
> defaults <-> platform-specific settings was a neat way of keeping the
> NS-specific stuff, be it line spacing or modifier keys, out of .emacs, etc.
> so they would not interfere when moving a .emacs across platforms.
>
> As some of these were or are being brought up to the core level, this path
> can and should go away. However, what WILL be remaining platform-specific
> after the current round are:
>
> - modifier key settings
> - system highlight color switch
> - antialiasing switch
> - quickdraw smoothing switch
>
> As these get moved to .emacs, it is important to make sure settings for
> these don't pollute it in a way so as to cause migration problems.  I don't
> know but it would be nice if there were some way to use .emacs and core
> customization but have these settings conditionalized on whether the
> variables exist, or whether the windowing system is 'ns.

I maintain an emacs across a few different platforms. To do this I use
the following peice of code below.

    (load-user-elisp
      (cond
        ((string-equal "gnu/linux" system-type)  "linux.el")
        ((string-equal "darwin"    system-type)  "darwin.el")))

load-user-elisp is my own function. You would need to convert that to
the Emacs distributed function (load)

For dealing with the whole range of these kinds of issues I made the following
package: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Grail

It would not be a good idea to make the platform specific switch based on
a check of the window system, as Emacs can always run in tty mode and the
test would be broken.

--
GnuPG Key: B9012279 is available from HKP server pgp.mit.edu