Re: app termination / ns resources

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: app termination / ns resources
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:59:25 +0200

[cc'ing emacs-devel]

Also, I have a removed the NS resources and also the ns-expand- lines business, which helped with the interrupted pattern in the fringe for some (but not all) fonts. I will test this a little more and check it in later this week.

One final dying thought about this ;) -- the way it was prefs-panel <- > ns defaults <-> platform-specific settings was a neat way of keeping the NS-specific stuff, be it line spacing or modifier keys, out of .emacs, etc. so they would not interfere when moving a .emacs across platforms.

As some of these were or are being brought up to the core level, this path can and should go away. However, what WILL be remaining platform- specific after the current round are:

- modifier key settings
- system highlight color switch
- antialiasing switch
- quickdraw smoothing switch

As these get moved to .emacs, it is important to make sure settings for these don't pollute it in a way so as to cause migration problems. I don't know but it would be nice if there were some way to use .emacs and core customization but have these settings conditionalized on whether the variables exist, or whether the windowing system is 'ns.

Finally, the face color setting system will still need to be changed to use the .emacs path.