Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:42:35 +0900

David Kastrup writes:

 > "that bad" meaning the fabrication of ad-hoc straw men in list
 > discussions.

Really?![1]  But let's put the context back:

    > That Emacs is different does not mean that cua-mode does not help.

    What about "much" did you not understand?

    At the moment I am getting rather annoyed at the amount of strawmen I
    perceive getting thrown at me on the Emacs list, on a variety of topics.
    Could be just me, but I don't remember things being that bad.

There's nothing to understand about Emacs being "much" different in
other ways here; that's a strawman itself.

Jared is saying that *no matter how different Emacs is* in other ways,
by giving a few basic operations the same bindings in Emacs as in
other apps he uses, CUA-mode helps him to use Emacs.  Further, in his
case it was (when he was a newbie) and is (now that he is more expert)
sufficient to keep him using Emacs.  And it is implied that, even with
his current Emacs skills, without CUA he might not be using Emacs today.

IMO, this is the kind of opinion that Richard says should be included
in polls.  Jared explained why *he* feels that way, and says that he's
not unique.  You can believe him or not as you like, but I see no
strawman in Jared's post at all.

Footnotes:
[1]  I would express what you meant with "Could be just me, but I
don't remember things *ever* being *this* bad."  (Stars highlight
differences, not for emphasis.)  The difference is slight, but to me
it is all the difference in the world.  Just like CUA mode is to Jared!