Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:07:39 +0200

M Jared Finder <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> So you are a newbie?
>>
> Repeated misunderstandings.  Is your definition of newb == someone who
> uses cua-mode?

It seemingly is your definition since you use yourself as an example of
the hypothetical "newbie".

> I would not be using Emacs today, because CUA mode prevents me from
> having to context-switch in my brain from C-c/C-v/C-z to whatever
> Emacs maps those keys to.

You have been posting on XEmacs/Emacs groups and lists much much longer
than cua-mode even existed.

>>> As a solution to this whole problem, why not place an option on the
>>> splash screen that chooses if cua-mode is on or not?
>>
>> Because the splash screen is optional and not the right place for it:
>> people might no longer find it.  CUA mode is right in the "Options" menu
>> where people looking for it can find it.
>
> No, you are wrong.  The splash screen is the perfect place to place
> information about CUA mode, in addition to the options menu.

We have had months of discussions about what to put on the splash screen
and what not.  You have not participated.

> I imagine a world where the splash screen is like the "Did you know"
> popup in Gimp.

Popups like that get turned off by everybody I know since they offer the
wrong information at the wrong time.

> Ideally, you could place one more entry, "CUA mode allows you to use
> C-x/C-c/C-v/C-z for cut/copy/paste/undo.  [TRY IT NOW]", and clicking
> TRY IT NOW would enable cua-mode.  What's the disadvantage of this?
> Because I can tell you MANY advantages.

Read the months of discussions on the splash screen.  The decisions of
what to put there are not arbitrary.