User reserved keybindings in `gnus-diary.el' (was: Maintenance suggestio

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: User reserved keybindings in `gnus-diary.el' (was: Maintenance suggestion on an emacs mode)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:54:23 +0200

On Sat, Mar 29 2008, paul r wrote:

> Those modifications concern some default key bindings on your mode
> map, bound on the C-c[a-zA-Z] pattern, which is supposed to be
> reserved for users, as explained in the last paragraph of the link
> [1].
> Each of you will receive an other email with the file to fix and the
> matching lines. If possible, please send back a patch on emacs-devel
> with those keybindings changed.

`gnus-diary.el' uses `C-c D' as a prefix key:

(define-key message-mode-map "\C-cDc" 'gnus-diary-check-message)
(define-key message-mode-map "\C-cDv" 'gnus-diary-version)
(define-key gnus-article-edit-mode-map "\C-cDc" 'gnus-diary-check-message)
(define-key gnus-article-edit-mode-map "\C-cDv" 'gnus-diary-version)

Do we really need a key binding for `gnus-diary-version'?

I'd suggest to discuss an alternative prefix on the Gnus list.
(Mail-Followup-To set accordingly.)

,----[ (info "(emacs)Keymaps") ]
|    As a user, you can redefine any key; but it is usually best to stick
| to key sequences that consist of `C-c' followed by a letter (upper or
| lower case).  These keys are "reserved for users," so they won't
| conflict with any properly designed Emacs extension.  The function keys
| <F5> through <F9> are also reserved for users.  If you redefine some
| other key, your definition may be overridden by certain extensions or
| major modes which redefine the same key.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,