RE: CUA mode's C-RET binding [was: position on changing defaults?]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: CUA mode's C-RET binding [was: position on changing defaults?]
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:26:00 -0800

> >  You might try binding C-j in the minibuffer so that it
> >  self-inserts. That's what I do in Icicles, where it's not
> >  unusual to use multi-line completions and input.
>
> I am sure I can but I have never bothered doing it.
>
> >  I use C-n and C-p in the minibuffer to move between input
> >  lines. I didn't understand what you said about those keys.
>
> C-n and C-p I can use but not the arrow keys, unless I rebind
> them too.
>
> When I want to input multi-line data as answer to a prompt I create
> the data in a buffer and then yank that onto the prompt.

That's OK if you seldom want to use multiple-line input. If that's not the
case, then it seems like extra work, just to give you the safety
(reassurance) that forgetting a C-q won't accidentally send something you
didn't want to send.

I mentioned a use case (Icicles) where it is not uncommon to use multi-line
input - to match multi-line completion candidates. In that case, it helps to
let C-j self-insert.

For most Emacs users, however, it is probably not that often that they
insert C-j, so for them it really doesn't matter that C-j is not
self-inserting. The point was that if you do want to make it easier to
insert C-j, then just make it self-insert. ;-)

Similarly, for the arrow keys. I use them for something else in the
minibuffer (in Icicles), but you can easily bind them in the minibuffer maps
to do what C-n and C-p do.