Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:28:02 +0100

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> But it's inconsistent with how the Emacs cursor typically behaves, and
> it looks weird when you are using a bar cursor.
>
> (For instance, I have a customization in my .emacs file that turns the
> cursor into a bar whenever the mark is active:
>
>   (add-hook 'deactivate-mark-hook '(lambda () (setq cursor-type t)))
>   (add-hook 'activate-mark-hook   '(lambda () (setq cursor-type 'bar)))
>
> With the bar cursor, cua rectangle selection doesn't do what is
> expected.)

Well, it does what's expected - it's just the cursor which is off-by-one
at the right edge (it is ok at the left edge, isn't it)?

But it's a bug, and I'll see what to do about it.

Maybe the simple solution is to make it a config option, whether
the rectangle cursor is inside or outside the rectangle on the
right edge - then people can have it the way they like (there
obviously isn't consensus on the issue).