Re: 23.0.60; Can't paste from files with .arc extensions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Can't paste from files with .arc extensions
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:50:33 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> What is the original "arc" anyway?
>
> A very old archive format, one of the first ones.
>
>> Are such archives common
>
> I don't think they are, nowadays.

So is it worth having emacs support that extension for them, then?
[Even if there are still a few such files lying around, what's the
likelihood someone would visit one in Emacs?]

I don't particularly care about paul graham's language (the scuttlebutt
is that it's a bit of a mess), but if his language is called "Arc", I
can hardly blame him for using that extension for the source files --
and if the previous user is only very rarely used, not care much about
the conflict.

>> (i've never even heard of them)?
>
> Gee, Miles! you couldn't be _that_ young! ;-)

No, sadly, that particular deficiency is not the cause of my
ignorance... :-(

-Miles

--
Scriptures, n. The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from
the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.