Re: 23.0.60; Can't paste from files with .arc extensions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Can't paste from files with .arc extensions
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 06:30:29 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:16:10 -0400
>
>     That's not the issue here.  The issue is that Emacs was evidently
>     unable to copy-paste text from such a file into another X application.
>
> Maybe that is a real bug, but we can't tell for certain from the cose
> of an Arc program that was treated as an archive.  ARC mode probably
> gets confused if the file is not an archive.  Maybe that confusion
> is the cause of the other problem.
>
> So the next step is to see if the cut and paste problem happens with a
> file that is being visited in the right mode: either an Arc program
> visited in the right mode for an Arc program, or a real ARC archive
> visited in ARC mode.

All I can say is that I could not reproduce this on GNU/Linux and on
MS-Windows.  I created a text file named foo.arc, and then visited it
in Emacs.  Visiting it caused an error message from arc-mode.el
(saying the buffer format is not recognizable), which is expected.,
and the buffer was left in unibyte state (also expected).  But pasting
worked as I expect in that buffer: printable characters were pasted
into other applications, while non-printables were not.

So I'm unsure how to proceed with this, as it seems Emacs works
correctly for me.