RE: patch for Dired second header line info

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: patch for Dired second header line info
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 08:31:12 -0800

> The "files 691" may be misleading if it means the number
> of files listed in this dired buffer, rather than the number
> in the directory.

True, just as it might be misleading because it says "files" instead of
"files and directories". And it doesn't say "in this directory" instead of
"in this directory and below". And the space indication doesn't say "in this
directory" for the used space and "on the whole disk" for available space.

That's why we have doc. We can change the label if you like. But if this
wasn't a problem before, for "total used" (total what? what units? in what
scope?) and "available (ditto, and the scope here is presumably the disk,
not the dir), then I don't think it will be much of a problem now.

I think it's good to keep the labels short, but you can change it to, say,
"files listed" or "files shown". You might also want to use a colon after
each label, some commas, and perhaps title case. This is clearer, perhaps -
shorten as desired:

 Files & dirs shown: 691, Kbytes used in dir: 49439, Kbytes available on
disk: 56233408

Personally, I think it's clear enough as is, but it should be mentioned in
the doc somewhere - I don't think it is mentioned at all now. Also, someone
using wildcards or hiding lines will discover soon enough that the "files"
figure changes.