Re: patch for Dired second header line info

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: patch for Dired second header line info
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 18:09:50 -0500

    > The "files 691" may be misleading if it means the number
    > of files listed in this dired buffer, rather than the number
    > in the directory.

    True, just as it might be misleading because it says "files" instead of
    "files and directories". And it doesn't say "in this directory" instead of
    "in this directory and below". And the space indication doesn't say "in this
    directory" for the used space and "on the whole disk" for available space.

Each of these is a different issue.  Each one of these might or might
not be confusing.  The answer to one question is not the answer to
all.

    I think it's good to keep the labels short, but you can change it to, say,
    "files listed"

That sounds like a big improvement.