Re: smartquotes.el -- Insertion of unicode quotes in text documents

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: smartquotes.el -- Insertion of unicode quotes in text documents
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:17:40 -0400

    I fail to see how Quail can be used to do what smartquotes.el does.

It ought to be able to translate sequences of periods and hyphens into
other text.  And it could have another similar mechanism for entering
the various kinds of quotations.

I am not saying I am sure this is better than your approach.  But it
has the advantage of being more coherent with the rest of Emacs, i.e.,
not being another ad hoc feature.  We should not adopt the ad hoc
approach without giving this one a try too.