Re: QUERY: w32 sub process implementation

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: QUERY: w32 sub process implementation
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:25:30 +0100

dhruva wrote:
> Shall I first hack the sys_select and getting rid of threads for sub
> processes in the first go?

No. They are separate issues. Cleaning up sys_select can be done without
breaking backwards compatibility with Windows 95 etc, and will fix
outstanding bugs. Getting rid of threads for sub processes does not seem
to bring any benefits to me.

> I will need help in understanding the handling of keyboard and mouse
> events (not even sure if sys_select handles them or it is somewhere
> else).

It doesn't. sys_select emulates the standard C library select function
for subprocesses and sockets. The reason for its existence is that with
winsock 1.1, the system select function only handles sockets.