Re: Recognizing obsolete external package versions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Recognizing obsolete external package versions
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 20:51:53 -0400

    > I think it would be better to check at the beginning of loading the file
    > rather than at the end.

    Why would that matter?

So that it won't actually load the version that causes trouble.
With semantic, that causes hangs, right?

    > That is possible by searching for "(defvar VARIABLE",
    > evaluating the sexp that comes next, and looking at its value.

    That sounds like a lot of work for very little benefit: currently files are
    loaded by doing an `fopen' and then reading and parsing directly from there,
    so it's never put into a buffer where a search could take place.

It won't be a big loss to read the whole file and search it before