Re: Defining your own defun breaks find-function-search-for-symbol

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Defining your own defun breaks find-function-search-for-symbol
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:10:24 -0700

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>     >     However, would we want to rename the functions in this manner?
>     >
>     > Yes.
>
>     With Stefan's patch, this renaming won't be necessary and we're in good
>     shape.
>
> I do not follow.  Could you explain the connection between them?

With his patch, functions and variables defined with our mh-defun-compat
and mh-defcustom functions are found by find-func.

I was focusing on the primary regexp which is used by that package
(`regexp' in the following code fragment). Your suggestion of renaming
mh-defun-compat, for example, to defun-mh-compat (with my fix) matches
`regexp'.

Stefan fixed what looks like a more general secondary, backup, regexp
which matches mh-defun-compat definitions.

Here's the code:

    (or (re-search-forward regexp nil t)
        (re-search-forward
         (concat "^([^ ]+" find-function-space-re "['(]?"
                 (regexp-quote (symbol-name symbol))
                 "\\_>")
         nil t))

Does that help?