Re: Non-ASCII in Lucid menus

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII in Lucid menus
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:13:43 -0500

>> In any case, here is the new improved patch.  This new patch should also
>> enable non-ASCII in Motif menus, although I haven't actually checked it.

> I think you can have that already as long as your menu strings are in your
> locale.  It works for me :-)

Actually, I doubt this is true because the encoding currently used is
"make_string_unibyte", which can only work for unibyte locales.  This much
also already works with Lucid (no need for my patch here).

Hmmm... in the mean time I actually tried my patch with the Motif toolkit
and my claim fell on its face: At least with the lesstif version in "Debian
testing" the menus do not properly display unicode when the locale is
"fr_CH.UTF-8" (locale with which the Lucid menus do display unicode chars
correctly with my patch).

Actually, the precise behavior of the Motif menus in my test indicated that
the utf-8 decoding wasn't even taking place, and the 8-bit bytes of the ut-8
encoding were basically interpreted as latin-1.  I tried to look at
lwlib-Xm.c to see where was the problem, but I really have even less of
a clue than for xlwmenu.c; maybe the problem is simply due to a limitation
in Lesstif, but I've also tried with OpenMotif-2.2.3 and it doesn't seem to
work any better.  I also tried to fix my "fontList" specs (use semi-colons
to separate entreis, and add a colon terminator), but to no avail.

Actually it seems that Motif always assumes the string passed to it is
latin-1 (e.g. even in a greek locale, the greek chars (encoded by Emacs into
8bit chars before handing them off to Motif) end up displayed as latin-1
accented chars).
So my guess is that we do something wrong (Motif obviously supports more
than just latin-1), but we'd need a programmer familiar with Motif to help
us out.

        Stefan