Re: address@hidden: C++-mode: Syntax highlighting: wrong color for funct

From: Martin Stjernholm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: C++-mode: Syntax highlighting: wrong color for function identifier depending on the kind of whitespace that follows]
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:13:51 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> - why can't they use the font-lock-multiline property?
> - why can't they use the jit-lock-defer-multiline property?

One argument for a hook alternative to these things is that it might
not be efficient/convenient to spread text properties all over the
place:

o  Text properties stay behind when the buffer changes, and so they
   might become invalid. Adding code to correctly remove them before
   that can be tricky.

o  Putting text properties in place and handling stickiness etc
   properly is decidedly more complex than just returning a region
   from a hook.

o  Text properties take space and make various buffer operations
   (slightly) slower. If large quantities of them would be needed they
   might have noticeable effect on performance. (There are already
   plenty enough in fontified buffers.)

Providing a hook where the font lock pattern writer can extended the
region to refontify is imho a very straightforward way to give control
over that aspect. I don't contend that the text properties probably
are more suitable in many cases, though.