Re: require-final-newline

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: require-final-newline
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:29:01 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

       In Emacs 21.3, Text mode did not override the default value of
       require-final-newline.  In current CVS, it does via
       mode-require-final-newline.  Is there a reason for that?

   I don't remember the reason, but I remember there was one.
   I think that specific point was discussed in this list
   a few months ago.

Actually, the decision to replace the old _way_ to override the
default value of `require-final-newline' with a new one based on
`mode-require-final-newline' was made a few months ago.  Maybe I
caused confusion by mentioning `mode-require-final-newline'.  I was
not asking about the _implementation change_.  The real question I
wanted to ask was:

       In Emacs 21.3, Text mode did not override the default value of
       require-final-newline.  In current CVS, it does.  Is there a
       reason for that?

Here, the relevant change was made more than two years ago:

2002-09-02  Stefan Monnier  <address@hidden>

            * textmodes/text-mode.el
              (paragraph-indent-text-mode-abbrev-table)
              (paragraph-indent-text-mode-syntax-table,
              paragraph-indent-text-mode):
              Use text-mode's syntax-table and abbrev-table.
              (text-mode): Set require-final-newline to t.

Sincerely,

Luc.