Re: require-final-newline

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: require-final-newline
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:41:51 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

         Would it be good
       to have the docstring mention this explicitly and allow it to be set
       to nil via Custom with proper warning of the involved dangers

   I don't know how to make Custom issue warnings.

I meant putting a warning message in the Custom buffer if nil is
chosen from the value menu, using the :doc keyword.  But on second
thought, I do not believe that such a warning is necessary.  The
docstring of `mode-require-final-newline' already says:

  Those modes set `require-final-newline' to this value when you enable
  them.  They do so because they are used for files that are supposed to
  end in newlines, and the question is how to arrange that.

If the user sets the option to nil, he knows that he chooses to
arrange for that by remembering to do it manually (or by using
software that can handle files without final newline).

Sincerely,

Luc.