Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:29:24 -0500

    As I see it, the rationale for turning on require-final-newline is that a
    particular type of file should always end in a newline. The user should
    type RET himself, but in case he forgets to do so, Emacs does it for him.
    So (newline) should be used.

That is true.  But those kinds of files are in special formats, not
human-language text.  What is the motive for setting use-hard-newlines
in one of those buffers?

    The specific problem I am trying to solve is with Longlines mode (which is
    not part of Emacs.) It is, in principle, impossible for Longlines to
    distinguish between the soft newline inserted by require-final-newline and
    the soft newline inserted by filling when performing automatic line
    wrapping.

"Automatic line wrapping" is not a normal Emacs term, and I am not
sure what you mean by it.  Do you mean Auto Fill mode?  If so,
longlines can distinguish the two cases because the newline inserted
by Auto Fill mode is not at the end of the line.

If it means something else, could you please say what?