Re: (no subject)

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 21:02:41 -0600 (CST)

Chong Yidong wrote:

   Could this patch be checked in? When require-final-newlines is t, the
   newline is inserted by (insert "\n"), which does not take
   use-hard-newlines into account, so the newline is not marked as 'hard.

Are you really _sure_ that a newline inserted by saving a buffer
should be hard if use-hard-newlines is enabled?  I would guess that
people might occasionally save their work to file while in the middle
of a long paragraph, in which case the inserted newline should be
soft.  I guess that if people want to mark the end of a paragraph
before saving, they would explicitly type RET.

What situation are you thinking of that would motivate making C-x C-s
insert a hard newline?

Sincerely,

Luc.