Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:08:16 +0100

* Alfred M. Szmidt (2005-03-02) writes:

>    I am using it often when dealing with patches generated with `diff'
>    and wanting to look at the original source before applying a patch.
>
> That is what `diff-mode' and C-c C-c (or <RET>) is for.  So once
> again, I fail to see what use goto-line has for other then in really
> awkward situations.

I have a keyboard shortcut which opens Emacs with a Dired buffer in
the directory I am usually editing and I find it more efficient to
open the file in question from there and just jump to the line in
question with `M-g' than to activate diff-mode for a patch I got via
email and having to type in the path to the file the patch applies to.
You could argue that such things don't happen often enough to warrant
a special key binding, but I find it very convenient having it.

--
Ralf