Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line autolearn=no version=3.0.

From: Jari Aalto+mail.emacs
Subject: Re: Key binding M-g should really be goto-line autolearn=no version=3.0.2
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:31:13 +0200

|  > Please, we had an extremely prolonged discussion about this not long
|  > ago, let's not have it again!
|
| I agree. Its only worth opening again if something has changed since the
| last discussion.

There is really a need to discuss this, because I see daily situations
where we need the goto-line functionality that Emacs does not offer after
boot. Apache/PHP/Emacs Web development combination is one of them.

The previous discussion did not reach to any consensus on the matter. Emacs
already had M-g to to mean goto-line at some point. Nobody explained good
arguments why current M-g is immovable?

My new suggestion is that

- Move the currently rarely used facemenu-keymap to *another* key.
- Add key binding M-g to mean goto-line as it has been de facto already fo
  long time

I believe these are reasonable feature requests. If we think about the
average Emacs user, I don't know where he would use facemenu-keymap - Most
starters consider Emacs just "another text editor", Like Notepad in
Windows or vi replacement in Unix.

Jari