Re: Item for TODO?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Item for TODO?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:52:33 +0200

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:09:39 +1300
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
>  > So the only thing that's missing is to make the tty mouse support
>  > package inject help-echo events into the Emacs keyboard queue.
>  > Everything else should ``just work''.
>
> What is a help-echo event?

See keyboard.c, functions read_char and show_help_echo.  If the event
found (by kbd_buffer_get_event) in the keyboard queue is a list of the
special form

      (help-echo FRAME HELP WINDOW OBJECT POS)

then Emacs displays the text specified by HELP as a tooltip or an echo
area message (see the comments in keyboard.c immediately before
show_help_echo for the details).

> On an xterm, if you move the mouse around no input characters are generated
> for Emacs to read. It only knows where the mouse is when you click a
> button. In between, I don't think it knows where the mouse is.

Does this mean that the track-mouse form does not work with xt-mouse?

> How could it then display a tooltip?

If there's no way to produce input with xt-mouse, then I think
tooltips cannot be triggered by mouse movements.  You need to come up
with some other method of triggering the tooltip display.  Once you do
come up with such a method, all you need to do is make that method
produce events of the above form, and the rest will work
automagically.