Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: It is time for a feature freeze (it is NOW or never).
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 17:54:47 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> IMHO, postponing currently available features that have already
> been in HEAD for years any further would be an even bigger waste.

True.

> I have looked briefly at the multi-tty pathces, and although it looks
> very sensible and systematic in its approach, it touches on many files
> and interfaces!

Yes; it is quite intrusive.

> For example , what is the value of window-system variable if you have
> both a window frame and a non-window frame open at the same time (I
> haven't looked, so I don't know how this issue has been resolved, but
> there could be other issues like it).

It's what it's supposed to be: if you eval it in an X frame, you get 'x,
in a console frame you get nil.

> Also, is the documentation on the multi-tty branch updated to reflect
> changes in interfaces etc. (where it matters).

I don't know about that, but it doesn't look like it.

> I would fear that even minor issues with it would inhibit a 21.5
> release in 2004, and no matter how useful it is, I think it will have
> to wait.

You're right, apparently a large amount of work is needed before this
branch can go in HEAD, your plan for an immediate release is the most
reasonable course of action.  I will have to wait some more before
seeing these features in mainline Emacs...

Cheers,

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | It was fourteen degrees below
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | on a screeching march 23.