Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]

From: James Clark
Subject: Re: address@hidden: changing line heights]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 08:22:04 +0700

The default ' and ` characters in the XFree86 4.x fonts I looked at*, by
contrast, _are_ fairly easy to distinguish in my font -- the single-quote is
a vertical line, and the back-single-quote is a sharply slanted line.  The
shapes used might be considered ugly when used in the context of english text
because they are not symmetrical, but I thing it's more important that they
be easy to distinguish, as it's very important for programming (e.g., in the
shell).

There's an excellent discussion of this whole quote problem by Markus Kuhn at:

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/quotes.html

The problem here is that there's a clash between

- Unicode
- established GNU documentation practice

Unicode says that the characters 0x60 and 0x27 are a grave accent and a vertical quote, not an open and close quotation mark. The XFree86 fonts are doing the right thing. However, GNU documentation (info and doc strings) use them as open and close quotation marks. It seems to me that the right solution is by default to map 0x60/0x27 to the Unicode quotation marks only in buffers displaying documentation (help and info); users should also be able to enable this mapping on a per-buffer
basis and globally.

James