Re: address@hidden: Scroll bars]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Scroll bars]
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:53:27 -0400

> Yet another user is saying that the scroll bar works all wrong.

Some users expect the Motif-like behavior offered by Gtk/Lesstif/KDE/...
and Xaw3d-with-scroll-bar-arrows, while others expect the old non-toolkit
behavior which is also the standard behavior of Xaw
and Xaw3d-without-scrollbar-arrows.

> It seems clear that many users are going to be extremely
> unhappy with the meanings of the buttons with the non-arrow version.
> We need to develop code *in Emacs* to manipulate these Xresources
> (or use some other method) so as to make the scroll bar work the way
> users expect.
>
> Can you help?

Fiddling with the Xaw3d toolkit's mouse-bindings via Xresources is not
something I have the time and/or inclination to do right now, so I
can't really help.  Also this would only provide the customizability
for Xaw3d but not for Lesstif.  I don't know how to do such a customization
for Lesstif.

        Stefan