Re: Run coding system auto-detection manually?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Run coding system auto-detection manually?
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:23:12 -0600 (MDT)

    This is in the "precious" case.  So you can see that the real
    filename is in the VISIT argument, not in the LOCKNAME argument.  I
    got those two confused before.

As far as I can tell, the code uses only the FILENAME argument for
computing the coding system, not VISIT or LOCKNAME.

    After reading the C code, I get the impression that I can always use
    find-operation-coding-system explicitly to find the right coding
    system to use.  Right?

Yes, I think you can do that.  So you can probably solve this problem.
However, we may still have a bug in the handling of precious files.

Handa, if you could examine that code and see if it can misbehave,
that would be useful.