Re: Run coding system auto-detection manually?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Run coding system auto-detection manually?
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:50:22 -0600 (MDT)

    When the file is precious, Emacs already writes to a different file
    first and then renames the file.  Therefore, the spot where Emacs
    invokes write-region if the file is precious must already take care
    of this.  At that spot, (the function called from) save-buffer just
    passes the real file name as the LOCKNAME argument.

I don't think write-region looks at the LOCKNAME argument in
deciding which coding system to use.  I think it looks only at
the FILENAME argument.

Handa, do you think it looks at LOCKNAME?

Is this a bug in the handling of coding systems for precious files?