Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs and UTF-8 locale
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:33:56 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Dave Love)
> Date: 21 Dec 2001 15:33:49 +0000

>  > I think the decision to leave it disabled in v21.1 was correct,
>  > since the application code, written by Dave, to make that support
>  > reasonably complete was only recently added to the CVS tree.
>
> I don't know what that means.

It means that the unification on encoding/decoding was not in Emacs
21.1, and it is my opinion that without that, support for Unicode is
not good enough to be offered to Joe Random User out there.

>  > The changes for which this addition is useful are installed only on
>  > the development trunk,
>
> What changes?

ucs-tables.el and the recent additions to utf-8.el, mainly.

>  > I believe some of those who tried to do that with stock Emacs 21.1
>  > complained about problems on gnu.emacs.bug,
>
> I don't know what that refers to

The relevant messages were posted to gnu.emacs.bug, I think you will
find them by searching the archives for "Unicode" or "UTF".

> so any such problems probably haven't been addressed by anything
> I've done.

AFAICS, they _were_ addressed by what you've done.  The problems were
caused by non-unified nature of Mule charsets, and by the fact that
UTF language environment didn't exist.

(Btw, I still think that the utf-8 language environment should turn on
the encode/decode unification modes, because I think that's what
Unicode users will expect.)