UTF-8 locale

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: UTF-8 locale
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 10:41:27 +0200 (IST)

Recent changes in mule-cmds.el automatically turn on the UTF-8 locale
when $LANG says so.  Does that also turn on the unify-on-decode and
unify-on-encode modes?  If not, I think users will have trouble with
such a UTF-8 support, since they will basically get the same problems
as in Emacs 21.1.

It's also possible there are more issues which need to be resolved
before UTF support could be turned on automatically.  I think this
should have been discussed before making the changes.