Re: debug performance problem

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: debug performance problem
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 21:42:16 -0500

> Does this replacement function run faster?  I think it ought to.

I think `faster' is not enough unless it's two orders of magnitude faster
(i.e. almost instantaneous).

Maybe doing the work from a jit-lock hook could get us there.
Or maybe we should only highlight the function names at the left
margin rather than inside expressions.  This could be supplemented
with a mouse-2 binding that works even if the symbol is not highlighted
(by checking symbol-at-point).
Incidentally, I think that help-mode suffers from the same problem:
C-h v load-history takes an unacceptable time to come up.  I plead
guilty of writing the code that does the highlighting of the symbols
inside the variable's value, and I think it should be removed or
conditionalized on the value's size.  Note that help-mode already
allows mouse-2 to follow symbols even if they have not been
highlighted.

        Stefan