Re: simple.el change

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: simple.el change
Date: 12 Dec 2001 10:00:46 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

   > Do people see any problem with this change in M-! and M-|?
   > The change is that when the shell command gets an error,
   > the echo area says there was an error, and the output
   > is always displayed through its buffer.

   99% of the time when a command fails with an error, it outputs an error
   message, and nothing else, and more than likely I just want to resubmit
   the command with a different argument or something.  Since many commands
   will then display the stdout output in the echo area (if there is any),
   I'm left having to restore the window state manually because I mistyped
   the first command...

As far as I understand, Richard's change does not pop up the output
buffer.  It merely uses the echo area to display that there was an
error, rather than displaying the output.  I'd find this reasonable.